Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Bath Tissue

I was in the grocery store the other day, and I saw an aisle that had a label above it that read "Bath Tissue." I thought it was funny, because no one ever calls it bath tissue. It's toilet paper. I guess that stores don't want to have the word "toilet" written anywhere in the store. I tell you what though, if I am ever in charge of labeling at a grocery store, then first of all, it means my life has gone horribly wrong. But if I am in that position, I will make a sign that reads "Butt Wiping Paper," because about as many people call it butt wiping paper as ones who call it bath tissue. I think people will appreciate the more accurate term.

We also all call restrooms "bathrooms," even when they only have a toilet. Are we that scared of saying, "toilet"? Or are people taking baths in their toilets now? I guess if they are doing that, then they probably have to use the bathtub as a toilet, in which case the bath tissue sign from earlier is actually accurate. I guess it all adds up in the end.

No comments: